Well, Hello There

Well, hello there! Thanks for stopping by to read my ramblings. I hope you find some amusing, perhaps inspiring or at least a good 'waste of time'.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Nice Time for Chit Chatting

Tonight my husband's best friend got married.  My husband was the best man and our daughter - the flower girl. 
 
While I sat at a table with several friends we rarely get to see, I saw another lady and her son having to sit at a table where they knew no one - I offered that she sit with us.  Her husband was also in the wedding party and I know how out of place you feel when you have to sit where you know no one else.  She and I didn't know each other but her husband and my husband's best friend had been friends since grade school.  If they too were friends, she had to be a nice person.  I thought to myself.  Also, I'd hate for a nice person to sit alone, watching everyone around them chatting with others.  So I asked my husband to invite her to sit with us.
 
She was so very sweet, and I liked her right away, as did our daughter who immediately gravitated to her the night before at the rehearsal dinner.  She sat there, listening to the other 7 of us talking.  We talked about kids, life, and then about what was going on with another friend and I.  (The other friend I speak of has his own medical cross he's bearing - a very difficult one to carry and I pray for him and his family often.)  This kind woman, wondered what was wrong with us.  She listened, puzzled over why I needed the power chair I'm sure, but was polite and didn't want to be nosey.  After a while, others shifted to the dance floor, restrooms, bars, or sat talking to others and she and I began our conversation. 
 
We sat huddled talking for some time and it was then that she inquired.  She listened intently to me - to my story of what was wrong.  She was a very smart woman, she asked - is it in any way related to muscular dystrophy?  YES, it is!  She really wanted to know!  I told her of MG, what I knew of it.  She then asked if it was something they could cure.  When I said no, she felt badly for me - for us all burdened with this affliction.  I wish there were more people like her.  People who wanted to know.  People who saw us as people.  Not to gawk at us, stare and make us feel poorly about ourselves. There is one thing I did do for MG awareness this year.  I informed one.  One more than was informed yesterday, and she in turn will inform her husband and son. 
 
Just thought I'd share.  When it seems others just thumb their noses at us - there are those few, those precious few who care enough to ask us how we are.   Sometimes I really believe there may be angels among us. Those who God places in our paths to help cheer us, give us comfort, or just lend an ear.  Those who care.  Thank you all for reading, for caring, and I wish you all a good, healthy, fun Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment