Well, Hello There

Well, hello there! Thanks for stopping by to read my ramblings. I hope you find some amusing, perhaps inspiring or at least a good 'waste of time'.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Life Through a Rear View Mirror

Tonight as I drive our kids from school to the doctor, then to store after store running errands I found it hard to keep my eyes on the road instead of pulling to the side to watch them in my rear view mirror.  Life passes quickly and one never wants to watch life from the rear view mirror but tonight I did.  I wanted to watch it in any way possible.
 
Our daughter loves music and dancing and flitting about being the happy-go-lucky little ham she is.  She's an open carefree little girl who wears her emotions on her sleeve.  Most frequently you'll find her with a smile on her small, round face.  Close enough for the smattering of freckles across her nose and cheeks to blur from how closely she invades your space, peppering those she loves with hugs, kisses, smiles and giggles.
 
On the other hand, our son, he is more reserved and doesn't share his feelings freely.  Sometimes it's as if you need to pry apart each layer of coating protecting how he really feels or thinks about anything.  There are a few things you can be certain of - he is very smart, he is very interested in insects, computers and games, he is very protective of those in his circle.  Some things we are just finding out.  Things such as the fact that he, too, enjoys music, and that he has a sweet singing voice - those are welcome surprises.
 
Tonight as he and Princess asked to hear "Roar" I was privileged with hearing him sing wholeheartedly and I found myself watching them through the rear view mirror.  Long after the song has ended, as his sister naps her car seat next to him, I hear him in a singing in a hushed voice "Ha-coon-ave-uh-cah-duh"  I smile and am reminded that these moments pass far too quickly and one day he will realize the Lion King didn't sing about avocados and I won't be rewarded with the little giggles at their expense.  I'll also be reminded that life shouldn't be lived and watched through a rear view mirror, unless that's the only way you can enjoy life going on around you.  Enjoy these moments.  Cherish these moments.  Be thankful for these moments.  And, I am! I am thankful for not only these moments, but for my whole family and all of our moments.
 
And now I bid you adieu with the sound track of the Lion King soaring through your minds only with a little change...
 
Hakuna Matata [Hakun-Avocado (pronounced ave-uh-cah-duh)], what a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata [Hakun-Avocado (pronounced ave-uh-cah-duh)], ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem free philosophy, Hakuna Matata  [Hakun-Avocado (pronounced ave-uh-cah-duh)]

2 comments:

  1. You are so right. Life does pass so quickly, Crystal. I am happy for you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. I hope you enjoy my blogs and that you and yours are doing well.

      Delete